The Original Ancestral Sin

I am finally reading The Ancestral Sin and though I have only gotten through the first couple dozen pages, I am none-the-less enthralled by it!

There is a certain beauty and logic in recognizing that what we might take for an unimportant theological difference of opinion (Original sin in the west vs. Ancestral sin in the East) is actually the foundations upon which completely different houses are built.

Who is the ultimate author of death?
From what are we being saved?
What is the purpose of the Incarnation?
What is the purpose of the Resurrection?

All of these (and more) hinge upon our understanding of the Fall. Far from filling my mind with intellectual ammunition to fire upon the ships of the west (still thinking in terms of Master and Commander), I am rather having my heart warmed by coming to more clearly understand the God who is "the lover of mankind."

Quite pertinent to the coming feast I should think!

Comments

Popular Posts