Girl Scouts

My daughter is a girl scout. My wife is a girl scout leader. My Parish recently started a small troop.

For those of you who don't know, the GSA have been in the news alot lately.

Read Here

Many "christians" have decided that they need to boycott Girl Scout cookies. (Jeez, what is it with Christians and boycotting obscure things? Why the hell can't they seem to find things in their personal life to boycott? TRY LENT PEOPLE!) Now, as a father of a Girl Scout, I too am concerned with the examples that might be shone (let's try this again) shown to my daughters...and our future participation is likely "up in the air"...however I'll be damned if my daughters will ever be an"American Heritage Girl"..for some reason they just seem weird, not to mention you apparently have to affirm their "statement of faith" which I cannot locate on their website. My daughter already has a "faith statment" which predates both the GSA and the AHG. Come to think of it, I didn't expect my daughter was joining a "christian" organization in the GSA...but I digress.

Apparently while trying to sell cookies one of my daughters friends and mothers (who knew nothing of the "controversy") were confronted by some "well-meaning" evangelical chrsitian who took it upon themselves to explain in detail why they would NOT buy their cookies. Thus an 11 year old girl was treated to such a conversation...wonderful! Well done...I hope this "christian" goes home and feels great about taking a stand and making such a powerful statement against Planned Parenthood. Meanwhile, a mom is left trying to explain to her daughter what it all meant.

You ever get the feeling that sometimes Christians are just knee-jerks waiting to happen? Waiting for some issue to arise for which they can be opposed and suddenly put their Christianity into action? Could this be the protestant spirit? I can recall Baptists (BAPTISTS mind you, not JW's or Mormons) coming to our door and not at all being satisfied by my wife's answer that she was a Christian already and further pressing her with probing questions to try and determine the reality of her religious status...always looking to find something to be opposed to. God deliver me from such stupidity in my own life.

As soon as lent is over I am eating a crap load of Girl Scout cookies!


Comments

Popular Posts