The Sunday of Orthodoxy

Every first sunday of Lent (since the 9th century) the Orthodox Church celebrates the triumph of the icons at the 7th ecumenical council. In tune with this celebration, Basil has a nice post on icons in which he says:

Well, knowing that icons speak to us the Truth, I have always made it my habit to discuss the icons with my daughter. I Church, I do not want her venerating and icon and kissing it until she knows what that saint is. As neither do I venerate an icon until I know who I am looking at - because I am not bring veneration to the icon as a physical object, as a work of art, or even simply something beautiful. No, I am kissing the saint himself (or herself) and venerating THEM. How can I do that if I don't know who it is?

Wholeheartidly agree, and so with this in mind...who or what are we venerating in the icon of "The Ladder of Divine Ascent"? Assuming you've venerated it. I have my own answer, but would like to hear others thoughts first.


Comments

Popular Posts