A review of Lent

With fear of God, and with faith and love, draw near...

As communion begins, and with our children safely stowed away with Godparents (as we typically have our kids receive the Eucharist with their Godparents...I guess I'd do the same, but I think TRG would have a hard time holding me), I step aside away from the forming line. A dear friend does the same and stands next to me.

"So you join the ranks of the impious?" He says to me.
"Yes," I reply and while nodding toward the chalice, "it would kill me today."
"Me , too." He offers.

Such has been the state of my Lent. I could count on half a hand the number of pre-sanctified services I have attended, I think our entire family together has been able to attend all of about two liturgies (having been racked with illness after illness), and the extent to which I have fasted has been negligible at best. Meat is easy...generally...but oh how I struggle with dairy!

Have I prayed more? Have I given alms...a bit I guess, not all that much. In one sense it is good for I am very keenly aware of my inability to judge other people's lenten disciplines...without having to appeal to the somewhat less practical application of God's commands. O focurse this is no excuse...none of this is to earn God's love, but like any good exercise program, I do myself a disservice in not fully participating.

I long to hear those words of St. John on Pascha...oh those glorious 1600 year old words that so imbue me with God's love, mercy and victory. I often heard it said that St. John's sermon would be very appropriate coming from a large african-american southern pentecostal preacher...sweating profusely, complete with many amens, hallelujahs, and thank you Jesus's from the congregation. It would be interesting to have heard how St. John originally delievered his version.


Comments

Popular Posts