Sign, sign everywhere a sign

On my way between my bus stop and my work I pass two interesting buildings. One is St. Spiridon's Orthodox Cathedral and the other is a Bar that references a coyote I think. Anyway, in the window of the bar I noticed a sign that reads something like this:

No Racists
No Sexists
No Homophobes

If you want to be a bigot, go somewhere else


It made me wonder if I would be welcome in that bar. While I am not a racist by anyone's definition (I think), people's various and lose definitions of "sexist" and especially "homophobe" are certainly broad enough to potentially prevent me from utilizing the establishment's services. Hmmmm...kinda makes me wonder about the future.

I really do not think the world needs to worry much about religious fundamentalists. But we who are branded as such might want to consider "worrying" about those who have labelled us.

Anyway, the bar smells weird (even from the outside) and their selection of beer seemed weak...so no love is lost between us.


Comments

Anonymous said…
So, not tollerating intollerance isn't, of itself intollerance? Or do you suppose that they recognize the irony of their sign?
steve f

Popular Posts