A Tract

An esteemed coworker has left me with a tract! I thought I might share it with you all for your friday amusement (or terror).

THE SHOCKING TRUTH is its title and it has a large cartoon character on the front cover looking quite "shocked." The first line divulges the “shocking truth”: Jesus Christ will not save you (Uh-oh…cue the shocking truth music) UNLESS (Whew!) you realize the following facts: Awesome….I’ll I have to do is realize some facts, how easy it that! And here are those facts (I’ll spare you the proverbial prooftexts):

1.You are seperated from God.
(Okay)
2.You are condemned by God at this moment.
(Damn! Literally)
3.Your punishment is certain.
(Ditto)

Things are looking rather bleak…wow, does God hate me or what?

However (Whew)

1.Jesus Christ died for you.
2.Jesus Christ is the only way.
3.Jesus Christ saves without your help.
(Sweet…no further need to read this tract then!)

So that whole bit about realizing these facts wasn’t quite true now was it? I mean, if Jesus can save me without my help, why would he need my “realization”? Here’s the later bit that irked me:

You cannot help save yourself by baptism, church attendance, prayers, sacraments, giving money, or trying to lead a good life, you must completely trust Jesus Christ and His power to save you.

Well folks, let’s close up shop and head home. We bought the product and are good to go. Can anyone else smell the scent of gnosticism in all this?


Comments

Popular Posts