Rumors of my dormition are greatly exaggerated

Spent all of last week at Cape Disappointment camping and (oddly enough) faxing real estate paperwork back and forth.

Much has happened, and much is happening FAST. Our house is essentially sold and we close at the end of this month. We have also essentially bought THIS home, and two days after we close on our old home we will be able to move into our new one. So yes, I will be homeless for two days...expect to see me on the street corner with a sign reading: "Will Blog for food"

As you will note (assuming the link is still up), the property is on 5 acres and is south of Seabeck in an area known as Hintzville. We have some work ahead of us - such as clearing and fencing, but otherwise the property seems ideal for us and our efforts to start the "Paradosis Farm" (I've actually not cleared that name with my wife yet, so don't tell her.)

The property is a bit wet (duh, it's in Western Washington) and so I hired a Wetlands consultant to come out and inspect the property. He assured me we needn't worry about flooding and that the pond and seasonal stream could actually be used for raising fish, or simply extra water to be stored for during the dry season - however short that may be.

I still have much to learn about rural and farm life, and it is somewhat overwhelming that what has been fermenting in our brains for a year or more is now just a couple weeks away. But I am excited about it.

And so our little agrarian adventure is beginning and we will be joining the growing population of people who have decided to find a place where they can live off the land as much as they are able. I hope and pray it leads us toward greater simplicity and greater faith...a greater understanding of life by living it in deeper connection with our community and our environment.

I do not think - though I recognize my limits - that I am wearing rose colored glasses. I expect a long commute (much of which, though, I will be able to actually DO work during) and I expect muddy, grubby, dirty, fecal farm labor...I know it will be good for me.

More details to follow...stay tuned

Comments

Fr. John McCuen said…
You lucky dog, you! I'm more than just a wee bit envious...

May God bless you and your family in this new setting.
Munkee said…
Congrats James!

Now there should be plenty of room for us to bring the fam up...camping at the Ferrenbergs! See ya next summer!
Susan Sophia said…
Yeah! The Plews are coming! The Plews are coming!
Anonymous said…
Nice fire pit!
With the Dabob Rd. property being dropped to $99k (the 7 acre is now $65k we may be neighbors sooner rather than later. I should be done cleaning out my shop by the end of the month, so if you end up needing a place for the household goods during your period of wandering homeless, lemme know.
layne (herman) said…
I too noticed the firepit and... are those horseshoe pits as well???

Too cool!

Blessings on the begining of your adventure!
Mimi said…
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear your adventures.

I also noticed the firepit.
fdj said…
The pictures don't show scale very well...that fire pit is gigantic. I'd guess at least 4 feet in diameter and quite deep. In fact I am going to have to construct a fire break fence around it.

Yes, horseshoe pits!

Camping? Absolutely...also there is a fourth bedroom. But you'll have to milk goats and feed the pigs to earn your keep.
:)
Mimi said…
So, since I have a box of things from church to burn, does that mean I can bring it and visit?

Popular Posts