Well...maybe we's moving and maybe we's ain't

Your prayers are sought for our sanity. A mere 11 days to closing and a new roof about to be installed and we just hear that the buyer's lender's appraiser is questioning about permits for the remodel/addition to our house. Well...there weren't permits when I bought the house, there weren't permits when I refinanced the house and there aren't permits now. And I never got permits for the finishing up that I did - I'm too much of a poor libertarian.

Anyway, it is all up in the air at the moment and we are just waiting to hear what will happen. We have no idea if the appraiser is saying he cannot apparise the home at the selling price or what. We just do not know for sure. It is a stressfull situation because the installation of the new roof was being paid for by escrow per the purchase/sale agreement. And we wait to know if we ourselves are moving in 11 days (then homeless for three days) in a moving truck all lined up and paid for and the purchase of our new home completely agreed upon and done.

Everything: the excitement, the joy, the dreams, the work, and the money of three entire families hangs on the opinion of one person who deems himself competent to appraise the value of a bunch of wood.

Anyway...God's will be done, it is an issue utterly out of our hands. We wait. And it's the waiting that kills you...better to know, either way so that we can get on with life. Limbo sucks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hoping and praying everything goes ahead as planned. If there's anything Valerie and I can do to help, let us know.
Mimi said…
Yikes! You have my prayers.

I am sure you know this, but if you need to bounce something off of me, I'd be happy to help.
Munkee said…
prayers brother...you have our prayers.
Susan Sophia said…
One disater begets another...we did not have time to cancel the roofing job that was part of the deal that may now very well be dead.

AND the roofing job will be costing significantly more than we expected.

sigh...I'm half tempted to pack everything up right now and drive to Alaska, build my own house without permits and offer many curses upon the real estate, mortgage, roofing and home inspection industry.

A pox upon them all.
Mimi said…
Whohoooo, I get a pox ;)

Sigh, hugs and prayers.
Prayers and heartfelt sympathies.....
fdj said…
Oops...the pox comment was mine, not Sue's - I was logged in at home as her.

Of course, a "passover" to all good people in said poxed industries. Take an unblemished lamb and slay it, then take its blood and mark..
Mimi said…
James, I hope you know that I was totally kidding - I know how frustrating the situation is, and I've sat with clients as I've had to tell them similar things, and it hurts as an agent to be involved, and it hurts and is frustrating and financially scary to hear the news as well.

I do hope all goes well for you and that in six months, it will all seem like it was just a small hiccup.
fdj said…
oh of course Mimi...I wouldn't REALLy wish a pox on anyone anyway...cept maybe the appraisers.

Still waiting to know the outcome of it all.

:)
Anonymous said…
I didn't think you needed permits for superficial internal type remodels.

You didn't by any chance do anything with:

wiring
plumbing
bathrooms
load bearing walls?

Did you?

...

- Steve K?
fdj said…
Here's what the City of Bothell says you don't need permits for:

http://www.ci.bothell.wa.us/dept/CD/bldpermitting/needed.html

Notice that butt wiping is not listed, hence a permit must be required.

The appraiser says his appraisal is "contingent" on permits being present for the conversion of the garage into living space - something that happened before I moved in and I'm quite certain they do not exist.

Popular Posts