The Gift that keeps on Giving

No, I don't mean STD's.

For a while now I've meant to introduce these folks on my blog...so here it goes.

One of the coolest gifts my family and I received this Christmas was from our friends the Fallins, who in our name donated a flock of chickens to a needy village or family through an organization called Heifer International.

The more I read about this group, the more I like their strategy of assisting people by getting them started along in the process of helping themselves. Furthermore, they have a "pass it on" policy whereby those who have received an animal will in return give some of that animal's offspring to others, effectively multiplying the cycle of giving. Therefore the graciousness of the Fallin's gift could conceivable go on giving for generations - human ones.

It's brilliant I think. Eating the animals is allowed too, which of course eliminates PETA's appreciation of the group...but bumps my esteem up. Anyway, an incredibly thoughtful gift idea. So now as our chickens mature, someone in much greater need is watching theirs mature as well.

Comments

Liz in Seattle said…
(sniff)

Thanks, James.

Love,
Us

Popular Posts