The Rudder and my own 70's era disaster epics

My quick escape from the city yesterday was hindered by the M/V Tacoma having some "mechanical issues", and so while waiting on the dock they announced that they were waiting for Coast Guard approval to operate the boat. Ten minutes later they announced the sailing was canceled...apparently the Coast Guard took "Rudder Problems" as being more serious than the Washington State Ferry system.

And thus we encountered a string of events that had all the makings of a great disaster film: One ferry out of service and the next one being profoundly overloaded with cars and people during a storm. Standing room only, I planned my "in the event of capsizing" escape route and then I began to scope out who'd be likely to lose thier cool and need to be slapped and who'd be eaten first after a few days in the life rafts. I reckoned I'd be okay because of all the health fanatics who'd wish to avoid my non-pasture fed, heavily antibioticated, fatty meat.

Despite my extensive preparations, we made it safely to shore where Rade picked me up thereby saving me the inevitable overloaded bus disaster to follow - a plunge into Agate Pass I supsected.

A slight blanket of snow with the potential for more to come this morning. Power is still on and it indeed appears the media has gone over-the-top with their "end of the freakin world" predictions. Of course they missed the potential ferry and bus disaster.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you made it home in one piece....

Maria on Long Island, NY
fdj said…
Alas, Maria, the greatest drama outside of my questionably sane imagination was falling asleep in the ferry terminal during the extra hour wait.
Anonymous said…
LOL. I was once in DC when, on nice Friday afternoon, some jihad-wannabe went down into the subway and lit a trashcan on fire. All the surface transit was totally jammed. People were 6 deep on the sides of I Street bidding for rides home. Mayhem. Pandemonium. Chaos. All caused by a trashcan. It was just like a 70s disaster thing.

- Steve Knowlton
Mimi said…
I heard that on the radio yesterday and thought of you.

We are home on a snow day, which is fine with me, as long as the power is on.
Anonymous said…
James, are you tired of the commute across the pond everyday yet?
fdj said…
Actually the pond crossing is usually my favorite part. I could live without the downtown seattle bus though.

If you are going to have a long commute, this is a cool one to have I reckon. That being said, if I had a job opportunity on this side of the water I'd take it.

I would not, however, go back to the other side to be closer to work. No way...I cannot describe the feeling I have as I stand on the deck of one of those ferries and watch the Seattle skyline shrink. It is perhaps like an exceptionally satisfying trip to the restroom.
Anonymous said…
Now that is an interesting image!

Maria
LI, NY

Popular Posts