"It's quite easy for something to get knotted."

All you anglers out there are presently saying: "DUH!"

I can't believe that this article made no mention of the wonderful world of spontaneous knot generation that takes place while fishing. I've seen things that convinced me, long before Hawking or any of those other guys thought about it, that Newtonian physics has holes in it. Holes that my lure and line easily passed through time and time again...especially in the nimble and space-time continuum busting hands of one of my kids.

Of course I have no idea what benefit mankind reaps from this scientific study...I mean what the heck! How hard is it to play with string and create knots? I'd like for these guys to find a way to quickly and easily fix the rat's nest I see from time to time collected about my Abu Garcia bait caster. Now THAT would be useful.

Speaking of knots, I am reminded of THIS.

I have to say that there is a certain satisfaction in taking two to three times as long to fix a troublesome knot instead of simply cutting and retying. However, a word of angler wisdom - always test the line to make sure the knot did not weaken it. If the line breaks during the testing, try and refrain from using too many expletives since you now realize you should have cut and retied to begin with. Apathia, my friend, apathia.

Fishing can be a very spiritual endeavor.

Comments

Meg said…
As both a knitter and an embroideress, I am, as they say in modern argot, "So There." I liken knots in my floss to weeds in my garden, and as we all know, weeding the garden is a very spiritual endeavor. Why not apply the same to knots in one's line?

Popular Posts