An audience of laughing Amish

An audience of laughing Amish

This weekend was a weekend centered around wood collection and sweating. On Saturday I was able to procure a host of rounds from my sister and bro-in-law, which I then got home and unloaded into the woodshed. I split a few and they look pretty good - dry and ready to go.

Then after Litrugy we headed over to our friend's house and wandered their woods looking for wood. However, we seemed cursed with chainsaw troubles. Two out of the three wouldn't start and then the one that did start - working so good with a brand new chain - literally fell apart while being operated and the chain was all chewed up. the underside being so chewed up I could not fit it back into the bar - plus I lost one of the main nuts. As I borrowed a nut from one of the non-running saws, my buddy got the third saw started. I began filing the barbs off the chewed us chain in an effort to get it to fit back onto the bar.

First try - not good enough - the chain wouldn't move freely. Frustrated, we decided to try the chain from the non-working saw. After getting finally getting it off we found that it would not fit my saw. Arghh! So I went back to filing the chain and eventually got it to work. We spent half our time working on our saws and as we did I could hear a host of disembodied Amish voices laughing at us.

Sigh. Well, at least we got more wood...eventually. I'll tell you what though, once that saw got to working, the new chain cut through the wood like a hot knife in butter - it was glorious. Gravity literally dropped my saw through those rounds.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Chain saws are scary but fun, particularly when they are working and you have a sharp cutting chain...for that matter, any "sharp" tool can be a joy to work with. I don't know how the old timers did it by hand. The human body is capable of incredible amounts of work. How's the back?
layne (herman) said…
How do you like those chainsaws that they use in lumberjack competitions... those chainsaws where they use motorcycle engines to run 'em.
fdj said…
Mike...it was rather our running joke that if we'd had one of the large two handed saws that we probably would have actually been done sooner.

Back is "okay"...I feel it most everyday, but it is not debilitating. Always aware to be careful, but in my experience, I never know what is going to set it off in full flare up mode. The last one was caused - I think - by a couple of days of hard work followed by a big stretch in bed.

PM...we used to go to a big logging fest when we lived in Sultan, WA. I kinda miss it. Certainly reminds me that I am an amateur. I'll tell you what though, if you don't love the feel of chewing through wood with a power tool then you ain't a real man!

Popular Posts