The Ascetic Dance

It is Saturday night and the rest of the family have retired as I know I must also do shortly, for my pious wife will have me out of bed early for our pre-communion prayers. (I am so blessed to have her in my life). But I felt I ought to type a few words as we have spent the evening watching the videotape of a lecture we attended last year with Hieromonk Jonah speaking on Asceticism.

Fr. Jonah reminded us that the most amazing example of asceticism in its MOST profound form is the engaging of everyday life with acceptance of all we face and with selfless love despite our challenges, no matter how severe they might be. To truly learn to love God and others is the goal of Christian asceticism. (And anyone who perceives this task to be easy, have no idea what it means!) The Church prescribed forms of asceticism such as fasting are merely tools of self-discipline that teach us a most amazing thing: INNER WATCHFULNESS.

I realized as Father Jonah spoke of the ascetic art of parenting, that I have such a long way to go. I am so easily led by my passions as my children try my admittedly short patience, and today was a particularly bad day as I was trying to work in the backyard and my kids seemed particularly able to get in my way. But it is Saturday and the Eucharist awaits me tomorrow…the Traditions (paradosis) of the Church call me to self-examination before communion and I find myself lacking again. The pre-communion prayers point to our unworthiness, while reminding us of our inability to “surpass the great patience of our God” and of God’s “extreme love for men.”

The Church invites me to dance with her. Two thousand years (and more) of collective experience and wisdom play the music. The steps of the dance are found within her Traditions (paradosis) and mesh seamlessly with the music. The dance teaches me, it inspires me, and it often convicts me. The dance never stops and as on days like today it calls me back into the ballroom of communal and Eucharistic life. The Dance is nothing less than the Life of the Holy Spirit.

Now I sleep, in the morning we dance.

Christos Anesti!

Comments

Popular Posts