Was the Trinity lost?

I have not been to any non-Orthodox Church service in probably 3-1/2 years. In that time, the extent to which the Divine Liturgy has permeated me became very apparent at my Granmother's funeral mass. Something stuck out to me like a sore thumb: during the entire liturgy (which of course was about half as long as I was used to) the Trinity was invoked a grand total of one time (that I could remember - which of course was generally easy for me to remember because we Orthodox cross ourselves each time we hear it said)!

Now I'm not a theologian (though I play one on the web) and thus I cannot hasten to guess what significance this might be, but anyone who has ever been to an Orthodox service knows that our corporate words are sprinkled liberally with "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." One is hard pressed to get through a single paragraph without it! To my ears it still sounds odd to invoke the name of Jesus only, which it seems both protestants and catholic generally prefer...though admittedly while I was an evangelical we never invoked the Trinity that I can remember and we were not part of the oneness pentecostals!

I was just listening to Catholic radio on the way into work and heard about a growing movement to push for greater useage of the Tridentine Mass and I wondered if it utilized the invocation of the Holy Trinity more frequently than the current mass...any Catholics out there?

Anyway, I draw no grand conclusions from this (perhaps some of you might?), but I simply found the difference to be rather stark and it was good to get home and hear those familiar Trinitarian words again last Sunday.

Comments

Popular Posts