What are we scared of and how much fun is life?

Can't believe it is Zacchaeus Sunday already...recognizing that Pascha comes earlier this year it still seems like last year just blew by!

Anyway, many times I have laid in bed with one of my sleepless kids, and found myself marveling at the effort they were exerting in trying to stay awake – to NOT miss one second of life. They demonstrate a thorough inability to remain still: a constant need to be twitching, talking, or bouncing. As sleep would begin to overcome, it seems that EVERYONE of my kids have learned that an appendage (legs are particularly effective) suddenly being thrust straight up into the air at a 90 degree angle to the bed – and keeping it there – will fend off the dastardly sleep fiend.

I’ve also noticed that they have strong fears of darkness and shadows. Evil, in their little minds, lurks everywhere in the shadows and they seem to need to be ever vigilant to avoid it. I giggle behind their backs, reassure them and tuck them back into bed where they can begin their pre-slumber calisthenics. Then I return to my own fears about being able to pay the bills while wishing I could escape life by going to sleep.

This weekend it suddenly occurred to me: maybe the kids have it right and I am all-wrong? Maybe life ought to be too exciting and beautiful to miss and maybe the real things to be afraid of lurk everywhere around us in the shadows…and not in the checkbook? Running to Daddy for protection seems like a great idea…go ahead and giggle, just make sure to tuck me in. Damn checkbook never balances anyway…did something just move in the closet?


Comments

Popular Posts