What to do with leftover babies

An odd survey of fertility clinics reveals some interesting trends means by which disposal of excess human embryos is accomplished. I just don't get it...

"I don't think anyone who deals with these frozen embryos considers them to be persons," Caplan [a bioethicist] said. "But I think that they feel they are deserving of respect ... They see the potential for life in this material."

All of us have the potential for life...all of us. I mean seriously, when do these people believe that personhood is achieved? I suspect one could argue that a newborn is really not much of a person.

Why is it so easy for our culture to dismiss this? Why is it so easy for us as Christians to shrug at this (and the abortion issue in general) and to think: it's not an important issue? If they were disposing of say 1 year old babies, would we think differently? Why? Is it emotional in that we can see the baby as clearly being alive and looking like us? When exactly does potential life become real life? Is the answer to THIS unbelievably universal question really suitably left up to an individual's choice? Should invitrofertilization be banned?

Creating human life in a petri dish is scary to me...especially since it results in the need to dispose of the "leftovers."

Read the Article.

Comments

Ann said…
An interesting note to add to this is that Peter Singer, a well known and well published ethicist at Princeton, suggests that indeed infanticide is in fact that moral equivalent of abortion. He advocates, arguing from Darwinism, that in fact infanticide practiced up to the age of 2 may be advantageous. He truely is the ultimate product of our age. I cannot begin to understand how one thinks this way. I pray that God will grant all of us the gift of tears for our nations sin.
Alana said…
I have often thought of these little ones. I think if someone would let me, I'd give someone like that my body and my womb and my breasts and my milk and my arms and my rocking chair, and a carseat and a home and my family, to have a chance at life, but unfortunately, some see even this as a money making opportunity and would charge me tons of money for the priviledge...which I don't have.

But if I were there, and someone said: your body, or the garbage can, I'd be up on the table in a flash.

Popular Posts