Ha Shem

I enjoy talking to my Jewish coworker on a variety of topics, and today I mentioned that my kids have taken to singing a song, part of which, is in Hebrew. She laughed, expecting a joke I suspect (since she knows me too well), and then I explained that it is a portion of a song from the Soundtrack of “Prince of Egypt.”

As best I could, I tried to blabber out the words as I recalled them and she smiled, seemingly understanding me until I reached the phrase “Adonai” at which point she looked at me as if I’d run my nails across a chalkboard.

Now we’d talked before about the comparative ease with which “christians” speak the names of God, sometimes to the point of being blatantly offensive. I pointed out that indeed the using of Jesus'/God’s name outisde of a context in which He is actually being discussed or referenced is indeed considered blasphemyfor most Christians, but that westerners are so secularized these days that many who often use our Lord’s name in “unusual” circumstances, actually know nothing about Him- they don't even understand what they are saying. A devout Christian certainly knows better.

Now, I had always known that the tetragrammaton was never uttered, but apparently even names such as “Adonai” are not to ever be said outside of prayer. In its place, I am told, they use the phrase “Ha Shem” which is directly translated as “the name.” And it was so odd discussing this issue with her because she avoided terms like "Adonai", saying instead: “What you said earlier” or “What you just said.” It was charming...I feel blessed to have her her and be educated by her.

And the issue of names gave me pause to think: What effect would it have on our prayers if we reserved the use of the name Jesus (or even God for that matter) to only those times when we are directly addressing Him? Think about it...I expect there would be a certain empowerment in that, wouldn’t there? Now clearly this is not a part of our tradition – by that I mean we do not have any prohibitions about using the name Jesus when we are engaged in discussions about Him, but we do, by the same token believe that there IS a certain power and authority in His name, no?

For my own part, I think I need to consider attaching more sacredness to the names of our God. And I really do wonder how it would affect our worship and prayer if we were to converse day to day about “Ha Shem” and then only name Him when we are directly speaking to Him. We certainly have no shortage of the “best buddy” syndrome in western theology, rather we could use a greater dose of “otherness”, “holiness”, and “mystery.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very good points. I have studied Hebrew, spent much time in the Holy Land, and have many Jewish friends. I've always found the use of the title "Ha Shem" very reverent. And those who write in English don't spell out the word "God" either, but write G-d. Jennifer Corns at church, whose mother was raised Jewish, does this, and my grandmother, who lives in Jerusalem and writes to a Jewish audience, does this as well.
Monica said…
Since my conversion to Orthodoxy I have noticed a change in the way that I both view and name our God. I am more likely to say "The Holy Trinity" than just "The Trinity" or "Our Lord Jesus Christ" than simply "Jesus." I also rarely refer to our Lady as just "Mary" with someone who is familiar with the term Theotokos. It is almost as if our Church teaches us to show honor and veneration by couching their names with rightfully lofty titles and descriptions.

"For You are the one who blesses and sanctifies all things, O Christ Our God, and we give glory to You, together with Your Eternal Father and Your most holy and life creating Spirit, now and ever, and forever and unto ages of ages. Amen."

We are guarded in a way almost opposite to the Jewish tradition of not saying the name of God in common speach.

M.
Seraphima said…
James, as I agree with your analysis of the 'best buddy' idea so prevalent in (especially) Evangelicalism today, how would you respond to the claim that "Jesus has called us friends"? I personally admit I strongly dislike "Jesus is my best friend" music (which is mostly where the message is), but I am generally unable to articulate a response past, "He is God. He is awesome and I revere and worship him. He's not my 'friend.'" What do you say?
James, this was exremely thought-provoking !
It makes sense to me :-)

But - what was the translation of the words from the song ? We also love the Prince of Egypt and King of Dreams, LOL.
fdj said…
Hey Erica...

Well from my own experience I would offer that there is no question that I needed Orthodoxy to teach me some balance toward the direction of reverence. I should refrain from saying that all evangelicals or protestants need this as well...but from my own experience in ministry I do think we tried too much to bring heaven to earth rather than earth to heaven.

The key, I think, is to remember that Jesus DID and DOES bring heaven to earth...in the same way HE is the one who calls us friends...but to what extent is this done the other way around? Ultimately HE is the one doing these things, not us.

From my perspective, knowing my sins and failings, I do not expect or deserve Him to bring heaven to earth. I certainly do not deserve nor should I expect Him to be my friend.

That He does bring heaven to earth and that He does call us His friends is His glorious, loving, Holy, beautiful, and wonderful prerogative.

And frankly all the more reason for my to hit my kness saying "My Lord and my God!"

I think Abayea makes a good point about how we Orthodox do ascribe titles to our God and even to our revered saints. It is a reminder...which implies that we need it.

I do.
fdj said…
Elizabeth....

A-shir-ra la-do-nai ki ga-oh ga-oh
(I will sing to the Lord for he has triumphed gloriously)
A-shir-ra la-do-nai ki ga-oh ga-oh
(I will sing to the Lord for he has triumphed gloriously)
Mi-cha-mo-cha ba-elim adonai
(Who is like You, oh Lord, among the celestial)
Mi-ka-mo-cha ne-dar-ba-ko-desh
(Who is like You, majestic in holiness)
Na-chi-tah v'-chas-d'-cha am zu ga-al-ta
(In Your Love, You lead the people You redeemed)
Na-chi-tah v'-chas-d'-cha am zu ga-al-ta
(In Your Love, You lead the people You redeemed)
A-shi-ra, a-shi-ra, A-shi-ra.......

Popular Posts