O Lord and master of my life...

...take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power...

If you haven't noticed, I've taken some time to reflect on each passion and virtue of the great prayer of St. Ephrem which we Orthodox are exhorted - whether we like it or not - to pray often throughout Lent. I figured that I ought to do so so that as I do pray this prayer, be it in the mornings with my wife or in the occassional afternoons of the SCCA "sanctuary" with Jared or with the formal gathering of the Body, that I might better refrain from rushing over the terms too quickly.

Now, with "lust of power" I must admit to having to do a bit more thinking. I certainly have no grand lust for "power" in the realm of my career - money, yes - but power...no thanks. But at home? I can be a bloody tyrant! Not pontificating and such, but certainly becoming exceedingly grumping if I don't get my way.

Another facet by which to see "lust of power" is to flip it around and consider how I respond to being the "subject of someone else's power." Hmmm...not so good either. In a very real way, the foundation of sin is "lust of power"...to be in charge and to be subject to no one.

It can be a challenge, but if we spend a little time I'll bet we can find innumerable ways that we have "lust of power." Humility is the predominant opposing virtue here, I think, but we are not there yet.

By the way, the first early sermon in the book I am reading is by the Archbishop of Thessalonica John which is dated to around the early 7th century. In it he recounts what he perceives to be an accurate account of the Theotokos' dormition. I was particularly moved by this portion:

"Who am I, lowly one, that I have been accounted worthy of such glory?" And having said this, she brought the course of her life to its fulfillment, her face turned smilingly towards the Lord. And the Lord took her soul and placed it in the hands of Michael, after wrapping it in veils of some kind, whose splendor it is impossible to describe.

Comments

Popular Posts