Hop Heaven

As the big man nicknamed "Bull" went through the recipes with me, the name of this appeared and it was - of course - a no brainer. I suggested we might even increase the amount of Chinook hops, but Bull said I'd better wait and just see for myself how the established recipe works out. The bitterness rating was not listed in IBU's, choosing rather simply to say "Out of sight."

Over 300 grams of three different hops and a dry hopped step to come later on. Let me pause and say: the smell of those hop pellets is a truly wonderful thing. Almost addictive and really spelled out to me the fact that hops do far more than bitter your beer, they actually add alot of other flavors that I have yearned for in a good IPA. I have described it before as a citrusy/flower-like taste which is precisely what one can smell from the hops. Really, I don't think there is any smell like it in the world and it really ought to be bottled and sold as perfume or air fresheners.

It was great to meet Photios and the "gang" of regulars who meet at "Heads Up." Quite a collection of colorful people, most of whom it seems make their livings in one way or another from the US Navy. Brewing beer, drinking beer, and talking about life on a "boomer" was most enjoyable. Not a word was spoken of North Korean dictators or jihadists, but I reckon hanging out with US Military personnel and making alcoholic beverages pretty much speaks for itself in that regard.

I bottle on or after the 21st.

Comments

Popular Posts