Never knew how much those muddy waters meant to me...

Yesterday there was a brief respite in the rain during my trip home. The floods here have been bad and in seeing picks from our old hometown of Sultan it is certainly worse than I ever saw while living there - although I am pretty sure our old house did not see water.

Elliot Bay was a giant mud puddle. I'd never seen it so dirty, and what was really interesting was that while the ferry was running it motor to remain pressed against Coleman dock, the props were actually pushing the dirt at a different speed than the water and so it was actually creating a band of clarity around which you could see dirt swirling like fast moving storm clouds. It was really a cool effect.

The closer we got to Bainbridge Island, the clearer the water got and by the time we docked we had worked our way back into more familiarly colored waters: a rich and clear blue/grey/green. Kitsap, having much less land mass therefore has much less in the way of runoff that dirties the water.

But it occurred to me, as we sailed through the muck that I was seeing the remains and the cause of what was for many people a terrible tragedy the day before. Their misfortune now dumped into Puget Sound to eventually settle and vanish. Lord have mercy.

Lastly, remember to thank a veteran tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts