Weekend update and Pallet Coops

My weekend ended today...and it was a busy one. My father came to town to play in a Table Tennis Tournament (he took second place in the under 1600 bracket) and then he helped me get the wiring done in the cabin - actually, I helped him whereas I think he kinda likes doing electrical work and has the head knowledge that I would have to painstakingly gain from a book.

We also went fishing yesterday and I landed a very nice bright Pink Salmon which we tossed on the BBQ when we got home. It was a gorgeous day and was warm enough that I didn't use waders and instead just donned a pair of shirts, dumped my shoes and waded out barefooted into the cold Puget Sound waters. I strung up a lighter rod and quickly found that the buzzbomb lures were too heavy for it so I switched to a lighter spoon and on my second cast I had the Pink - not too much fight, but a few short runs and since the rules dictate barbless hooks, every little run and pause has a tendency to rack one's nerves. I also gave the girls some training and I must say they did very well. In no time they were casting very well and doing so rather consistently. They need some more practice in dealing with knots and loops in their reel, but that will come. The real success was that I only lost my patience once and in that instance I fixed the problem (it was of course terminal and needed a complete regearing), apologized, and set her back up to try again....affirming them both that they are doing a great job.

Really, if you are an angler and you are even semi-serious about it, taking a couple of little kids out fishing can be a massive ascetic labor. I'm sure some of you people being more advanced in your enlightenment than I am don't have any idea what I am talking about, but for the rest of us putting aside your own fishing in order to untangle the 23rd knotted mess for a day is a trial. However, the girls made my labors easier than I thought they would be...the biggest problem was that they had to share a rod, which of course becomes THEIR ascetic labor. (And Mom's and Dad's)

I'm going to try and start wrapping and siding the cabin. I need to have it done soon...certainly before winter and the rains begin. I can do the toilet and floor in the bathroom anytime...sigh...not looking forward to that job. Trying to find a place to get pallets for free for our new flock of chickens...any suggestions? Check these out: HERE, HERE, and HERE. I notice on craigslist that there are tons of free pallets over on the eastside of the Sound...but not as many on our side of the water. Gonna have to work a plan.

We shall see how our pallet coop turns out. Just one of many to do's. I asked for this, I got it. Wouldn't change it.

Comments

Liz in Seattle said…
Having dealt with soccer before, I automatically took "under 1600" to be just that: younger than 1600 years.

I know your dad is not quite that old :-)

Congratulations, Al!
Mimi said…
Congratulations to your father!
And to you on the fish.

And, drive slowly by lumberyards and cabinet shops, the one across the street from my office has them for free often.
Liz in Seattle said…
Oh, one more thing. Did you try the Kitsap, Jefferson, and Thurston County freecycles (all on Yahoo groups)? Betcha did, but thought I'd mention it.
Anonymous said…
what about the piles of pallets sitting in the grass next to St Elizabeth?
Anonymous said…
There is also a place on Bond Road that has a ton of pallets that they are happy to give away.

Our altar platform is made from pallets from that place.

FrC+

Popular Posts