Being Green

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, here's a little something to brighten the season.

Clifton references this article about people abstaining from having (and killing) their children in order to save the planet. Nope, it's not a joke.

Straight from the horses "mouth":
"In short, we do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. But all this would be undone if we had a child.
"That's why I had a vasectomy. It would be morally wrong for me to add to climate change and the destruction of Earth.
"Sarah and I don't need children to feel complete. What makes us happy is knowing that we are doing our bit to save our precious planet."


Tell me, am I the only one who reads this quote and hears "The Twilight Zone" theme playing in the background crescendoing at the "precious planet" part?

Yes, alas, as we respire we humans produce CO2. Furthermore, and again unfortunately, we require resources of some sort to go on living. Bad humans! Bad! Morally wrong! (As a side, the fact is: Burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 10x more CO2 than the average human exhales in 24 hours. Though I do like to tease my "green" coworkers that their riding bikes to work causes them to respire more so they should consider walking VERY slowly.)

Of course, Western Europe ALREADY has a negative birth rate and has for sometime.

But what is the lesson? Killing babies to save the planet is not just morally right...it is a moral imperative.

I think one of the people's comments on the article has it right: "I really think it's great - less nuts about to breed and spread their lunacy to children."

Except that these nuts are likely teaching our kids in our schools and running for office. I reckon they'd WIN office here in Washington. How long before we see such insanity written into laws? Maybe tax credits for getting abortions? Free abortion clinics and with each abortion you get a free DVD of "An Inconvenient Truth"? AND if you abort twins you get an extra copy to send to your disbelieving friends like me.

Okay, maybe I'm being a little silly. But, either it's a sign of me getting old or it really is happening that each morning I wake up and the news gets crazier and crazier. I never know what to expect.

Comments

Popular Posts