What the...?!?!?!?!

The New York Times clears things up: Judaism and Islam are the SAME religion.

SEE.

I'm trying really hard NOT to laugh myself into an personally embarrassing moment, but a major newspaper publishing a correction because they believe they mistakenly identified Islam and Judaism as different religions is...well...it is...retarded. Oh...I'm sorry...you should not call retarded people retarded, you call your friends retarded when they act retarded.

By what authority has the New York Times determined that Jews and Muslims worship the same God? Who broke this news? What source gave them this tidbit of theological wisdom?

Well, Glory to Jehovallah! This is GREAT news. HAMAS can now stop lobbing rockets into the "Zionist Entity", because they are not a "Zionist Entity" they are in actuality an "Islamist Entity." Oh dear...wait...maybe Jews are Shia Muslims? Okay, Okay....Hezbollah can now stop lobbing rockets...

And of course, this leads me to wonder whether or not I too can hook up with 72 Virginians if I "martyr" myself. Wait a minute...how do we define martyrdom again? Oh dear, I'm confused now.

Comments

Meg said…
Tsk, tsk, James. This is the New York Times we're talking about: "All the news that fits, we print." This has *never* been a reputable newspaper, despite its own much-vaunted self-image -- and you can take it from me, I'm from NYC.

The last respectable paper put out in NYC was the Herald Tribune, which ceased publication in 1962 after a strike that lasted over a year. That's when NYC went from a 7-newspaper town to just 3 -- the New York Times, the New York Daily News, and the New York Post. All the others went under.

In 1978, there was a brief revival of true journalism under something calling itself the World Journal Tribune -- would you believe that the Times sued the newspaper for copyright infringement?! The Times had bought up the rights to the names of all the four newspapers that went under! And that was the last of real journalism in NYC. Phooey on the Times.
fdj said…
I know I SHOULD NOT be surprised, but a retraction like THIS is still astonishing to me.
Anonymous said…
It looks to me like they are saying explicitly that Judaism and Islam are not the same religion, but merely that the worship the same god (which, historically speaking, has been the majority position in both religions).
fdj said…
Actually Peter, the correction says it is specifically for the "Headline" which read:

"Practicing Different Religions (but United on the Issue of Pork)"

Therefore I infer they are saying the headline is wrong, Jews and Muslims are worshipping the same god and thus are the same religion.

"(which, historically speaking, has been the majority position in both religions)"

Can you source this? Hopefully not Huston Smith.

If they truly believed they worship the same god, then their god has a multiple personality complex and has forgotten his medication.

Of course, not being a Jew, I decided to get the inside scoop. I asked my Jewish friend what she thought of the statement: "Jews and Muslims worship the same God" and she did not hesitate: "Wrong."

Ultimately it is going to depend on how loose you want to be with the word "same." I'm familiar with the Islamic concept of the Dhimmi and the "people of the book", but you have to seriously ask when "gods" are the same. Do I worship the same God as the Mormons? Nope...but then, some, I suppose would say yes.

Regardless, it is an intriguing thing to see a Newspaper making theological corrections...though not surprising to see them remain incorrect, albeit politically correct.
Anonymous said…
I assumed that they had retroactively changed the headline.

My sources are this: Islam claims Moses and David as prophets, and the Torah and the Psalter as holy books (albeit allegedly corrupted in their current form.) Quite a bit of Islam was taken unapoligetically from Judaism. I interpret this to mean that Islam considers Judaism to be heretical, but not idolatrous.

Midaeval rabbis allowed Jews to enter mosques, but not to enter churches, since churches were considered to be idolatrous, whereas mosques weren't. Also, Moslems are assumed, in Judaism, to be Bene Noach, whereas whether Christians are is controversial.
JM Ruby said…
The correction was to the headline. The original is here.

Popular Posts