Rumors abound...

...that Russell Crowe might be Orthodox or, at least, Byzantine Catholic. See article HERE.

Now, I'll be the first person to say: "So what!" Even if it is the man who brought Jack Aubrey to life on the big screen...none-the-less, I don't try and uphold a false image of myself that would deny that I'm at least a little interested. All I could find were a couple of pictures of his "Byzantine Chapel"





Apparently the mosaic on the floor dates from the 2nd century, but I can't discern what it is. It's one thing to have a "Byzantine Chapel" in your back yard...but it is quite another...well you get the picture. "Consecrated"? Ummm, shouldn't there be an altar, hello? Do Orthodox ever even consecrate private chapels if you aren't a Czar or something?

Another famous Orthodox Christian? I kinda doubt it, but a nice looking chapel in any event...though it could use a few icons.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't think a chapel needs an altar. In my research, I have discerned no official "rules". There are shrines that consist of a post with an icon on them; one could hold a reader's service there. Perhaps he used the word "consecrated" loosely. I suspect it was actually "blessed". If one did have a chapel with an altar and the building was permanent, I *think* it can be consecrated, even though it's private. One would need to obtain consecratory relics and approval by the bishop and probably some plan to make sure services happen there. It is odd that there are no frescoes, but then maybe those are in the works. Some greek architecture is pretty bare.

- Steve
fdj said…
That's interesting Steve...I wonder if you may be right about it not truly being consecrated. Mr. Crowe was married in this chapel/shrine, do you know if it is "kosher" to have a wedding someplace other than a Church proper?

There is a stained glass window which you can barely see to the left in the interior pic. A wedding pic sheds little light:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39063000/jpg/_39063707_xx_crowe_group203afp.jpg
Anonymous said…
Steve's explanation lines up with what I know. To be consecrated it would need an altar, relics, antimins and some schedule for serving at least the Divine Liturgy, but that could be as little as once a year.

Yes, technically a wedding must take place in a temple, but bishops have been known to bless all sorts of things.

FrC+
Anonymous said…
BTW, reading this I realized that I had no idea who Russell Crowe was. So, I did a web search and I learned that I have never seen a single movie that he's been in. I still don't know who he is. I guess I need to get out more.

FrC+
fdj said…
Fr. C....

this calls for a movie night.

:)
Anonymous said…
i recommend Gladiator, and of course Master and Commander, washed down with a pint of Grog, surrounded middle-aged, slighly overweight men in midlife crisis.

- Steve K
fdj said…
"A Beautiful Mind" and "Cinderella Man" also well worth watching. I've found that those lacking a Y chromosome are generally more inclined to have enjoyed these as well.
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed all 4 of those, along with a few others, LA Confidential being one.

Popular Posts