American Women

American Women

So, I'm hanging out with some of the Ugandan Techs I'm training during lunch and they asked if I had any pics of my farm and so I began showing them the few that I had on my laptop, and since most of them included snow, they were patently amazed.

Furthermore I showed them a pic of our new chicken coop and explained how my wife had built it, at which time they stared at me incredulously.

I was confused until one of them asked, "Your wife built this?"

"Yes," I answered matter-of-factly.

With my original assertion confirmed they all looked at one another with a sort of chuckle of astonished laughter.

"Seriously," I said, "She built it. I hardly did anything."

One of them finally explained to me, "You just do not think of American women doing this...you think of them in fancy cars and fancy dresses...never getting dirty or sweating."

So...all you American women out there can go to my wife's blog and thank her for her shattering of racist,sexist,nationalist stereotypes. Ha! I reckon she's done more than Hillary and Obama combined. And I even neglected to mention that she is also a full-time homemaker and educator.

I considered mentioning that my wife isn't terribly unusual for American women, heck there are plenty of cowgirls, country girls, and even blood sweat and tears soccer moms...but then it occurred to me how one of a kind she really is and I let them believe it too.

Comments

Liz in Seattle said…
Yeah, your wife rocks :-)

Popular Posts