Hey, I recognize that

Hey, I recognize that

So I'm spending my Sunday afternoon arguing with Mother Nature about the building African thunderstorms and my need to get clothes out on the lines to dry. I lose and it begins to pour down in tsunami-like quantities. Oh well.

So, we have around here in the project house all manner of movies obtained locally - which is to say that certain regulations aren't well maintained and thus there are a number as of yet unreleased flims...so I decide to relax the storm away watching "The Golden Compass."

I know, I know, I've criticized the book and the author and have refused to spend my money on it...but perhaps I should at least give it a chance, right? In the spirit of "tolerance and free inquiry" which, I'm told by the film, the Magisterium (i.e. the Church) does all that it can to stifle. But whatever, the Magisterium is a Roman Catholic term...I've no need to concern myself too much, right?

So I suffer through about 45 minutes of the film's preaching - yes, yes I get it: church bad, institutions bad, authority bad, church will murder to keep grand religious conspiracy intact...heroes are so called "free-thinkers" and those who push boundaries, rebels, and free-spirits. Yawn.

There's no light handedness here...the message is as clear as a Jerry Falwell Sermon.

But then the films brings us "up north" and we are introduced to the local home of the evil magisterium...and gee doesn't it look familiar. Oh yeah...that's subtle alright. This is when I'd had enough...besides it'd stopped raining.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Uh, pardon my French, but WTF?!?! That's pretty mind-blowing...
Anonymous said…
I figured better prepare my children, they would not avoid the Golden Compass forever. Saw the movie with my 3 children, and had to do a lot of explaining of how the movie streams out its poison. They were most disturbed by the fact that the nasty military types who are about to shoot tortured and innocent children (who are in danger of being detached from their "demons" by the evil Magistratum) look like cossaks and speak Russian......

Anyone out there who knows of a good Orthodox critique that can be sent to other parents?

alexandra

Popular Posts