A Common Boo-Boo
I see a lot of Churches utilizing the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed as their statement of faith. I think it is great to see new groups looking to the past, but I also see a common mistake. (One, which I won't mention in detail, is to actually change the Creed in order to better fit their particular theological flavor - I mean, really now, why use it at all? Just make up your own) The mistake I will mention is demonstrated by this:

We believe in one holy catholic* and apostolic church

* “ catholic” should be read “universal” or “world-wide”.

The Greek roots of the term "Catholic" mean "according to (kata-) the whole (holos)," and has less to do with geography and more to do with fullness or wholeness of faith...lacking nothing. Remember, the Bishops present at the councils of Nicea and Constantinople believed in ONE visible and united Church.




Comments

Popular Posts