The End is the Beginning

Bishop Seraphim quotes the Gospel of Thomas:

"The disciples said to Jesus, 'tell us in
which way our end will occur.' Jesus said 'Have
you found the beginning that you search for
the end? In the place where the beginning is, there
the end will be. Blessed is he who will stand at
the beginning, and he will know the end, and
will not taste death.'"

I am haunted by this for some reason. Now, I know, I know...this is a gnostic gospel...but none-the-less I am intrigued by this passage and it makes me think about Theosis and Irenaios' theology of recapitulation. Redemption, deification and re-creation are all the same?
We are new creatures in Christ...behold all things become new... a new heaven, a new earth..is there not a patristic vein of thought that perceives the work of Christ as nothing less than the creation of the universe anew? Or at least the restoration of the universe to a state of newness?

pondering....

Comments

Popular Posts