The Lifegiving Cross - is it real? Is it true?

Yesterday was the feast/fast day of the Elevation of the Cross. A year ago I had this to say about it.

Is it real? Is it true? I mean, as the priest parades this little locket of a cross containing a splinter of what is purported to be the "true cross", do we really believe it? Is it really a tiny portion of the now close to 2,000 year old wood used to crucify our Savior?

Ahhh we are a cynical bunch aren't we? Doubters and nay-sayers all of us! How did we come to be so cynical? We doubt everything that seems "too good to be true." Think about that phrase for a while: how is it that we have come to embrace it as having logical merit? A God becoming flesh and defeating death for us isn't too good to be true?!?! Come on, my protestant friends and loved ones, let's let go of our cynicism. I think it is the same cynicism which causes us to "poo-poo" the saints and our glorious Lady. We hate the idea of people being too perfect. As our priest said yesterday, it is this very thing which, made martyrs of people. Persecution for righteousness sake.

Ever hear someone complain about a movie because the characters weren't "human" enough, or that the star was too good, too wholesome...rendering them "unbelievable." I think taking such an attitude makes us feel better about ourselves. The same logic and reasoning - almost a part of our so called natrure - gives birth to the schoolyard taunts and teasing that can be so devasting. Their derisions, elevates us. We can sleep well knowing that no one is better than us.

I believe in that splinter of wood. I do, I do, I do. I'll say it again: I believe that that little sliver is the actual wood upon which Jesus died. I reverence it for that very reason...just like the Jews of old reverenced the ark which also contained artifacts that testified to their religion (Artifacts, I might add, that God Himself commanded they keep as religious tokens.)

Matter matters. Out of my head, and into my hands.

I believe in that splinter of wood. I do, I do, I do. I'll say it again: I believe that that little sliver is the actual wood upon which Jesus died. I reverence it for that very reason...just like the Jews of old reverenced the ark, which also contained artifacts that testified to their religion (Artifacts, I might add, that God Himself commanded they keep as religious tokens.)

In my old days I’d demand laboratory testing of that wood before I’d put my stamp of approval on it. But having been in the scientific disciplines now for almost a decade I can say that putting my trust in the authority of God’s Church is much more reliable. I know we rattle the phrase off perpetually, but I keep coming back to it: “pillar and ground of truth.”




Comments

Popular Posts