Wisdom...let us attend

Caught up so in the sweeping topic of the True Cross (we remain still, by the way, in the midst of the AfterFeast of its Elevation), that I neglected to mention that yesterday was my wife's nameday. Saint Sophia and her three children (Faith, Hope, and Love) were brutally martyred under the reign of Hadrian (117-138 AD). The children, all twelve and under, watched one by one as the eldest to the youngest were tortured and killed - yet even the youngest having seen what they did to her siblings would not reject Christ. Mom was forced to watch it all.

My wife marvels at the piety these children were raised in the midst of in order to so fill them with the virtues for which the were named. The world no doubt views their actions as supremely stupid, and yet we - the Church - say they lived up to the mother's name: Sophia, wisdom. Let us attend indeed.

Many an Orthodox Church bears the name of Saint Sophia. The Greek word (Hagia) which we often translate as Saint may also be translated as Holy. Does anyone know if the great cathedral Hagia Sophia of Constantinople (oops, did I say that...I mean of course Istanbul) is named for this martyr or after the concept of Holy Wisdom - perhaps both?

The new page title icon above is 18th century Russian and is titled Holy Wisdom, anyone care to bestow some wisdom on me and explain what is being protrayed? I know it is hard to see...but it sure looks interesting.

Regardless, many Years Susan-Sophia! May God continue to grant you Holy Wisdom...and may He also grant me ears to hear it.


Comments

Popular Posts