God Bless our new home

As is the Orthodox custom, the period of time following Theophany (aka Epiphany) is often spent by the Parish priest roaming about his flock's homes showering them (along with the inhabitants) with Holy Water. The house blessing is a time our whole family looks forward to and since this is our first one since moving to Bothell we got the "full meal deal." We began the day at our dear friends' house and then proceeded to about five other homes (splashing and blessing along the way) until at last a grand Orthodox convoy arrived at out home. How funny it seemed to see father James meandering out of his car on the road in front of my house attired in his cassock and stole.

The whole crowd packed into my humble little home, while my family centered ourselves with father at our Icon corner. The prayers began as usual, but them continued by my reading a psalm (cannot recall which). As the crowd burst out into the Russian tone of the Theophany Troparion we began to march through the house while our eldest Kelsey was the "keep of the holy water bowl." Father James told her he would follow her and she merrily led the way. Splish Splash the house was taking a bath!

Then upon our return the Icon corner, father said a few more prayers as he annoited the four walls of the house. I grimaced - but remained silent - when he made the sign of the cross with the oil upon a section of a wall I knew I would be eventually removing, but later confessed that I would save that portion of the drywall and perhaps frame it and hang it on the new wall (grin).

Why bless houses...heck I'm not sure I understand the whole theory behind it, it's what we do...we consecrate things. All I know at this point is that there is some very base satisfaction I feel in knowing that it has been done. And besides the walls stopped bleeding and the loud voices screaming "GET OUT!" have stopped.

Comments

Popular Posts