Jesus, the Trojan Horse

There are many facets to our salvation...one is expressed in the utter defeat of death and the devil. There is patristic support for the notion that God "tricked" the devil via His incarnation and death. Holy Saturday expresses this so wonderfully and I recall when I first attended this wonderful service as it being one of those powerful AHA moments . For me, it demonstrated the fullness we Orthodox tout, and was certainly something that was lacking in my theological "know-how."

Today Hades lets out a groan: "Would that I had not received the son of Mary: for when He came upon me He dissolved my power; He shattered the gates of bronze; the souls I had held captive, as God He raised up." Glory, Lord, to Your Cross and Your Resurrection.

Today Hades lets out a groan: "My sovereignty is destroyed. I received Him as a mortal, one among the dead; but this One I am powerless to contain; instead with Him I lose all I had governed. I had held the dead for ages, but behold, He resurrects all." Glory, Lord, to Your Cross and Your Resurrection.

Today Hades lets out a groan: "My might is swallowed up: the shepherd was crucified but raised up Adam. All I ruled over I have lost; all I was able in my power to consume, I have disgorged. The crucified One has emptied the graves. The sway of death is no more." Glory, Lord, to Your Cross and Your Resurrection.


Oh man...I am not ashamed to admit that in reading these I get all emotionally wound up! The hairs on my neck stand up and I get teary eyed...just like the old pentecostal that I am! No No No...I'm not a pentecostal anymore, I am a Resurrectional!

Pascha is coming...yeah yeah, I know, Lent first.



Comments

Popular Posts