The Moral of the Story

A response to Shermer's article...

First, anytime I see an article begin, which I know will have an anti-religious bias, by mentioning some prominent person who is purported to be a Christian (i.e. George Bush) the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. No doubt a moral response born in my genes?

Let my offer a few dissenting thoughts. Surely you could expect no less from me. First…”show me the data.” As the article claims itself to be preaching what “science tells us about” why leaders link themselves to religion then surely we ought to see data. If the author is bold enough to use definitive terms as opposed to theoretical terms, then surely we ought to see reams and reams of numerical data, right? The linkage and identification of specific genes that might lead one to being more altruistic or guilt ridden should clearly be identified before we came make such bold proclamations such as: “The moral emotions…evolved genetically.” But, as it seems to me is the case with ALL the evolutionary biologists, the world of probable (sometimes remotely probable) conjectures is laid before us as unadulterated and undeniable facts.

Read the whole thing Here.



Comments

Popular Posts