Substitutionary atonement

Josh S. (no blog Josh?) is defending substitutionary atonement in the comments of my post from Feb 11th. And while I am not a real theolgian (I simply play one on the internet), I am willing to tip a pint over the topic. Surely Josh isn't the only Protestant reader of this blog who affirms this doctrine as the effectual means of their salvation - with that in mind I have some honest questions for such folk. (please make sure you have your own pints as well...I've no desire to turn this into some silly internet debate thoroughly devoid of spirits.)

Is our salvation wholly and completely accomplished on the cross?
Does the Resurrection of Christ accomplish anything for our salvation?
Was God's pronouncement in the Garden (You shall surely die) a judgement? A punishment?

I suppose if you prefer a Dram or a Cup O' Joe that will suffice too, but please have something on hand, lest we rob ourselves of such pleasurable and gentlemanly (or womanly) social niceties.


Comments

Popular Posts