An Apology for Country Music

Yeah, I know. I used to be just like you. The thought of Country Music put into my head the whiny twang of a steel guitar along with an equally twangy red state southerner singing about Ford Pickup trucks, hound dogs, honky-tonks, and Confederate flags.

But, thanks to my wife – and no doubt thanks also to my continued procession toward being elderly – I have come to a different conclusion, such that I will be the first to stand up and defend this musical genre when the cultural and artistic elitists that surround me insult it.

Let me put it to you bluntly: Country Music is the only genre of music that has a huge proportion of its participants unashamedly advocate values that I personally hold dear. Ahhh, yes, that dreaded and overly politicized term: Family Values. Join me on a brief tangent as I heap shame upon those of you who have demonized this venerable phrase: SHAME ON YOU!

How about songs that celebrate LIFELONG devotion and love between one man and one woman?
How about songs that extol parenthood and uplift the love between parent and child?
How about songs that discourage materialism and praise simple living?
How about songs that encourage giving and selflessness?
How about songs that encourage one to stop focusing on financial or other everyday hardships and trials and instead delight in the simple joys of family life?
How about songs that reminds us of the wisdom to be found in our elderly?
How about songs that dare to speak positively about patriotism?
How about songs that are played on “secular” airwaves and yet have no fear in speaking about the importance of faith – even going so far as to mention Jesus by name?
How about songs that celebrate commitment rather than sex?
How about songs that encourage us to hope for everyday miracles?
How about songs that speak about the joy of watching your children grow up?
How about songs that so move you that you must pull off to the side of the road in order to finish crying?
How about songs that cause you to turn off the radio and spend the rest of the commute thinking about ways that you can be a better parent and husband?
How about songs that make you want to rush home and lavish love, attention, and devotion upon your family?

On and on I can go…each example above coming from a specific and often different song that I had in mind. You artistic elitists can say what you like about country music, but I insist that you at least show it some respect for the fact that it stands above all other genres in its willingness to express FAMILY VALUES. Think it overly simple, lacking in artistic affluence…but I’ll tell you what, if the country music I am hearing is representative of the typical “NASCAR” mindeset, well maybe you’ll see a halo capped number “3” next to my IPA sticker on my truck in the near future.

I believe Jesus would have been a Phil Vassar fan. And now, if you don’t mind, I’ll get back to Just Another Day in Paradise.

Comments

joel said…
James, Amy Grant.....?

And on the same note, am I to believe that this is the same guy who sang revolutionary songs like the "Bomb"; leaving the artistic world to role with laughter, as they hear such lines as, "speaking in tongues in the ghetto", "make sure to stay away from girls that do", and, my personal favorite, "shama shamalama ding dong!"

Awww, with a cassette tape graced with lyrics such as these, I shall never turn to the dark-side that is country-western music.

And yes, I would love to venture out your way again. The beers are, most assuredly, on you, however, it may be some time until that day: school has its grip and Boston is not as close as San Diego.

Oh, and please tell me you are not of the occidental perspective that we are, in fact, gracing the orient with modernity? Bernard Lewis is the next read. I am confined to papers right now.

Peace to yours through this season, Joel
Anonymous said…
you know... i could give you specific examples of hip-hop songs that fit every single category you mentioned.
i'm a particular fan of 70's country... grew up on johnny cash, willie nelson, merle haggard, johnny paycheck, etc... read cash's autobiography in 6th grade... i just don't think country corners the market on positive message music. especially modern country, so much of it is maudlin over produced shite.

)( s
Glory to God for all things!

Spot on, James. With one exception, every wedding I've ever officiated has included at least one quote from a Country song. Before the skeptics get too queasy: go out and buy DRIVE by Alan Jackson. Though I suspect he would be welcome in Buddhist circles affectionately, Clint Black's lyrics have snuck into many of my wedding homilies.
fdj said…
Boston? What the heck are you doing in Boston?

>Oh, and please tell me you are not of the occidental >perspective that we are, in fact, gracing the orient >with modernity?

Depends on your definition of modernity. I'll say this much for certain: I am of the perspective that not everything in the Middle East is America's fault and even more, much of what IS wrong in the middle east is a result of their own flawed religion and culture that has indeed left them behind the rest of the world. Do indeed read Bernard Lewis.

Ahhh...lyrics from the "good ole days"! I should have taken those quakes on the sunday morning of June 28th as a sign to shut up.
:)
fdj said…
Seraphim...I eagerly await those examples.
fdj said…
I know I am a simple man...and getting more simple in my old age I guess. "Over-produced" and "maudlin" songs is fine by me, and no doubt much of what I specifically had in mind could be characterized as such.

But if the shite moves me in some way, well then that shite is okay by me. I know, I'm the kinda guy that would go to the Art Museum and wonder at most of the pictures: What the hell is THAT supposed to be?

Another thing I like about country music, is that much of it can be banged out heartily on my "guit-fiddle" around a campfire with knowledge of just a few chords.

Fr. Joseph...YES, all good stuff. I have tried time and time again to play and sing Collin Raye's "Love me" and can NEVER make it through without choking up.
Same with whoever it is that sings "Don't take the girl."
Well, more Country confessions ...

My wife and I cry at Country songs. Not all of them (duh!) but, having two little girls and a little boy, here's some examples:

"Letters from Home" -- John Michael Montgomery
"Best Day of My Life" -- George Strait
"There Goes My Life" -- Kenny Chesney
"Then They Do" -- Trace Adkins

And, we're all trying to learn the lyrics to Lonestar's latest, "Mr Mom" (especially since I was "Fr Mom" for about 9 years).

Popular Posts