From Atheism to Theism...

Interesting news...thank you Steve!

If you check the links at the end of the article you can see what the notorius "Infidel.org" folks have to say about it all. (see the 2004 article here). What strikes me as being funny is the sense of relief these people express in that at least he isn't a Christian!

I have bad news for the atheists...getting to theism is the BIG step. Hopefully Flew will be exposed to some solid Christians who can clear up his bias that sees the Christians god as a sort of "cosmic Saddam Hussein."


Comments

Anonymous said…
What is really odd about this is that people think that you can prove something about the existence of God by using the physical world. Suppose Jesus had an MRI, does anyone think that the word "God" appear somewhere in the picure?

One of the myriad reasons why I love the Orthodox Church is that there is a deep understanding of the transcendence of God. God is beyond this world. Applying the categories of this world to God even such as existence misses the point. Existence as we know it does not apply to God. God is beyond such categories or He would not be God.

In Vernor Vigne's Fire Upon the Deep, there is a machine with transcendent power. To the humans are around it, it looks like mold. I kind of feel like we are in the same boat when people start thinking they can prove or disprove the existence of God. Where normal categories don't apply, a little humility is in order. Unfortunately, in our modern age that is only thing that is in short supply!

-Rick
fdj said…
Great points Rick! There was a host of thoughts similar to what you express here by Fr. Maximos in "Mountain of Silence" Centered upon the notion that the "blessed are they pure in heart, for THEY shall see God."

I do not wish to be judgmental, but as I think about it, I've never met an atheist that I would categorize as being terribly humble. Not that I personally stake any sort of humility claims.
fdj said…
obviously I haven't gotten enough coffee yet this morning...but I think you can discern what I was trying to say :)

Popular Posts