Winding down the fast

I think I have done rather well in keeping the letter of the fast - at least as much as I intended to - however, the extent to which I have kept the spirit of the fast is somewhat less clear. But, the profound mystery of Advent and Nativity is beginning to materialize out of the smoke of everyday life in the busy Ferrenberg abode. I think I will put the Nativity Icon out next week. We try and make such iconographic changes a big deal in the house - parading it about the home initially in a funny procession full of smokey incense and chanting. The kids love it.

The song on the radio proclaims that "it's the most wonderful time of the year" and indeed I have to agree. While Orthodoxy in my life has shifted a greater importance (if I dare to quantitate such things) to Pascha...well I guess I should just say that it has raised the importance of Easter to a level at least equaling Christmas regarding the extent to which we celebrate it. All things in Christ's life are for our salvation...but of course Resurrection...Glory to that grand crescendo!

But Incarnation...what a mystery. Pay close attention to the hymns in the next week (if you are lucky enough to have a Parish that has the Vesper of Preparation) and on Christmas Eve/Morning because they are some of the most thought-provoking, awe-inspiring, and generally "wow"-ified words you will hear. I have made it a real habit to try and experience Nativity from the perspective of the Theotokos...and a number of the hymns sing with her voice and they rock the foundations of the world.

Comments

Popular Posts