Not all who wander are lost

I'd seen this quote on bumper stickers here in the Seattle Area a number of times and was never really sure what was implied by it being on someone's car. Last night, however, as my daughter and I contiued on our literary journey through "The Fellowship of the Ring" (her for the first time, me for the first time in over 20 years - sigh) I was reminded that this is in fact a quote from Tolkien (unless he got it from somewhere else?) and is found in a poem that reveals the true identity of "Strider."

It reminds me of that story found in Bp KALLISTOS' book "The Orthodox Way" (I hope I recall correctly) in which a solitary nun who is sitting and apparently doing nothing, informs an inquiring pilgrim that despite all appearances she is actually embarked on a great journey. Someone once paraphrased the notion with this: "Don't just do something, sit there."

Indeed, not all who sit are doing nothing. I think in the mad rush of "modern" life, we could all use some time to just sit and be alone, I know we've heard much talk in Orthodox circles about people's (my) inability nowadays to face themselves (myself) in silence, with no external stimuli other than their (my) own heart and soul and the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps this is why many people I know, opt to take a vacation not in Vegas or Hawaii, but at a monastery. Perhaps much like the CEO's and other power brokers in my previous post who go to Athos, even without an Orthodox grounding or understanding, the human heart and soul seems to naturally know (sometimes) what is good for it.

It is a strange thing when silence is deafening, and wouldn't it be cool if we could somehow bill solitary silence and newest and hippest "extreme sport"? I can just see the Mountain Dew commercials now.


Comments

Popular Posts