Heretic

I took the "Are you a heretic?" quiz that is making the rounds in the blogosphere. I think I ended up pretty much where most other Orthodox bloggers did:

You scored as Chalcedon compliant. You are Chalcedon compliant. Congratulations, you're not a heretic. You believe that Jesus is truly God and truly man and like us in every respect, apart from sin. Officially approved in 451.

Chalcedon compliant

100%

Pelagianism

67%

Monophysitism

33%

Nestorianism

25%

Apollanarian

17%

Adoptionist

8%

Docetism

0%

Arianism

0%

Donatism

0%

Gnosticism

0%

Monarchianism

0%

Albigensianism

0%

Modalism

0%

Socinianism

0%

Are you a heretic?
created with QuizFarm.com


Of course, the hitch in the matter is here: to be a true heretic, you have to teach your erroneous beliefs and refuse to be taught yourself by the community we call the Church. In other words, you hold to your doctrine despite being corrected. The quiz should be in an essay form.

All of that being said, this a little gem I have been painfully chewing on: in the Orthodox Christian life, it is far less important to know those areas in which you are right, than it is to recognize those areas in which you are wrong. How we budget our time in this regard, likely reflects the state of our hearts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And yet it is tempting to believe that the majority of the Ecclesia will be right and we can stand with them, but as Sts. Basil, Athanasius, and Maximos experienced it isn't always so clear who the good guys are. I cannot imagine the pressure they felt in their stand for Truth. As Father Hopko says, "This is messy stuff."

God preserve us!
Anonymous said…
Curious. I got almost the exact same results. We must be listening to the same liturgy or something...
fdj said…
Doctrinally speaking, Aaron, I think we definately have it much easier these days...especially since those issued the Holy Persecuted Saints struggled with have been worked out. Not to mention the meddling of emperors and such.

How long was it befroe these men were proclaimed saints? I cannot recall exactly, but in St. John Chrysostom's case (yeah, you didn't mention him - but its the only one I recall) it was the empress' son who prostrated himself before St. John's body and begged forgiveness.

The Church knows...even if the hierarchy (for a time) doesn't. Christ has promised us - the pillar and ground.
Seraphima said…
Chalcedon compliant 100%

Pelagianism 83%

Nestorianism 42%

Apollanarian 42%

Monophysitism 42%
...
Donatism 0%

Docetism 0%

Arianism 0%

I am semi-surprised at my results. As Orthodox (compared to Prots), we tend to be significantly more Pelegian (denial of Original sin) and significantly more Apollanarian/Monophysite (comes from our belief in our own eventual deification). Of course, these tend to be generalizations, but I am surprised I ended up so Nestorian (however, as I am writing my thesis on fifth-century Christology, I recognized a number of the questions as direct quotes from heretics)...fun!

Popular Posts