Jessica's Law

HB2476, known as "Jessica's Law Plus" is presently going through the motions in the Washington House O Reps. Mark Lunsford, father of Jessica who was abducted from her room, held hostage and repeatedly raped for three days before being buried alive, has come to Washington to show his support for HB2476 which is decidely tougher than a competing bill HB2411.

“With all due respect, sir, please do not name your bill after my daughter” said Lunsford referring to the committee chairman's use of his daughter’s name as part of his bill title [HB2411]. “If Jessica’s Law Plus had been in place before my daughter had become a victim, John Couey would still be in prison and my daughter would still be alive. And the other children that he assaulted – including his family members – wouldn’t have to live with the things that they have to live with.”

I don't contact my reps very often, but at this moment I am asking for their support of 2476, and asking for an explanation - and I won't by the stupidity of the argument that tougher sentences might make children less likely to testify against relatives or friends - how absurd!

News article here.

Comments

layne (herman) said…
Thank you for sharing this. One can read more about both of these bills by going online to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/default.aspx (just type in the bill number)

I would encourage anyone, after reading about the bills, to write or email their Representative and voice their opinion.

Popular Posts