We ain't had nuthin' but magotty soy for 54 days

And so it begins...I'm looking around for the person in control of the ride to ask them to stop it, because to be completely honest, I feel like I am not ready.

Someone once told me that if Orthodoxy doesn't bind and pinch you - at least once in awhile - you probably ain't doing it right. But the last few prepatory Sundays leading up to Forgiveness Sunday (marking the starting line of Lent) have flooded over me like a Tsunami and I have to admit to largely trying to ignore the waters I am forced to tread.

Last Judgement Sunday, for those who are perhaps not Orthodox) was yesterday and we spent some time focusing on judgment. One of our deacons gave a very thoughtful sermon in which he partly reminded us how we as a society are moving further and further away from "judgement", often for fear of making people feel bad. He reminded us that on that REAL Sunday of the Last Judgement, we are promised there will be a fair number of people who end up feeling bad. But, thankfully, we are granted an opportunity to feel bad now, rather than later when what is at stake becomes more and more grave.

The legal analogies such as we hear on days like this, when taken literally (as the West is often accused of doing by the East), can become very problematic. Yes, Lent is about taking the time to feel bad about our sins...to repent. But, we do not seek to change our legal status with God, we seek to change WHAT WE ARE. We seek to change the direction we are going, to alter the course of WHO WE ARE BECOMING. So that on that day of judgement, we see and experience God's love for what it really is - as opposed to a condemning and consuming fire.

I need to see and learn that everyday is an opportunity to be Lenten, every moment is an opportunity to change the direction I am growing in. Not a nanosecond passes that I cannot "come to myself" and head home.

Thank God the Church calls us to corporately engage in this Holy venture. Would I think to make this journey on my own, of my own volition? "Sure" I say, lying to myself.

No, I know better...the Orthodox Church has taught me better. I cannot rely on myself and to insert God into that formula ( ie. Me and Jesus on our own will be just fine) is really no different than relying on myself. I cannot be trusted...say it with me...really, I cannot be trusted. (If you've not proved that to yourself a hundred times over and over again...well...then I'd say you just did.)

Whether I am ready to set sail or not, it is time to climb aboard and cast off the lines. The Church tells me the tides and winds are favorable and I delay at my peril.

Comments

Popular Posts