City people can't convert to Country people

You will note that the very first Orthodox blogger link that I have is John Bell's Notes From a Hillside Farm. My early interest in John's blog stemmed from a number of things, not the least of which is good writing and good insights. But also because John is an Orthodox Christian, a lawyer and sheep farmer. I suppose his blog being my first official blog link might be seen as prophetic? My appreciation being perhaps an early indication of where I really wanted to be?

Anyway, this post was particularly interesting to me and I intend to check out Jeanne Marie Laskas' book. I reckon (see, I've used that term for ages, so I'm already "country!" Heck I can go back and visit my relatives in Kentucky for a few weeks and come back sounding like I ought to know how to flip a breached cow with my bare hands)...ummm, wait, where was I?

Oh yeah, as I reckon it there are quite a number of urban to rural transplants these days and I am sure Ms. Laskas isn't the only one to write a book about it. I don't think I'll write a book, but I do invite readers of Paradosis to stay tuned for our grand adventure.

Dairy Goats are on the agenda or potential inhabitants. (Pigs and Chickens are apparently a given...and I am going to push for trout farming. Anyway, I've already learned that part of the reason why you might have sensed a foul smell/taste in Goat's milk is because they may not have seperated the bucks from the does (that there is goat lingo, ya see?)

Shhh...and Rade and I plan on having a still in the barn.

Comments

Susan Sophia said…
I put it on hold. I'm number 2...are you number 1? LOL
Mimi said…
You might be able to share, just a thought...grin.

My DH and I both grew up in a rural area, we were the "town kids" but my DH was farm boy. Raised goats, had a farm, did 4H, all that jazz.

You'll note we both live in the city...
Paige said…
For some historical perspective (and mean-spirited chuckles) I suggest Eleanor Agnew's "Back from the Land: How Young Americans Went to Nature in the 1970s, and Why They Came Back." It really sheds light on the urban misconception of "simple" rural life.

As a side note, I vividly remember being eight, watching a special on the news about a program to bring inner-city kids (I guess from Louisville) to my area to see cows and mountains and stuff. I kept thinking that was great, and wondering when the busses were going to come and take me and my friends to Louisville to see a real live mall, or a movie theater. Didn't happen.
fdj said…
It really sheds light on the urban misconception of "simple" rural life.

Not having read it, I will venture a guess as to what the misconception generally was: "You mean I have to work really really hard to get the garden to grow and the goats to milk?"

I'm sure I have some misconceptions, but I am confident my wife will deridingly assure all that I am REALLY good at imgaining the very worse of things..too good.

Popular Posts