I'm a strong proponent of Religious Freedom

It's not hard to find cheap swipes being taken at Christianity here in the US...and I suspect in much of the western world. In fact, there is a vehicle oft parked at my work that has a bumper sticker that does just that. No biggie.

Catholic Archbishop Pell of Australia said/wrote this with regard to Islam.

And now, he finds himself in a bit of hot water. Which surprises me, because he seemed awfully even-handed to me...but then again that's me. More and more it seems one ought not to say ANYTHING remotely bad about Islam (not only because it can be dangerous if too many people hear, but also legally!) Especially in Australia (Victoria to be precise) as this initial application of a 2001 law shows:

"Christian Pastors [on a native of Pakistan] convicted under "Racial and Religious Toleration Act"


Read the article...it is astonishing. I don't think real dialogue can happen unless the is real freedom of speech and religion. I wholly support right of the driver of that vehicle out in front of my work to insult and even vilify Christians. Were he ever to be in court in Victoria, he ought to be able to quote our Lord directly anytime he wished. Have at it.

Comments

SlantRight 2.0 said…
Good call on freedom of religion. If people think political polarization has become a problem in America, imagine America in which Pastors go to jail for defending their faith against a faith that contradicts the Bible. God forbid!

Popular Posts