In the face of sickness and death

Any long term readers of the blog will no doubt recall my talking about emotional experiences with patients in the elevator. Sometimes we'd talk and sometimes we wouldn't. Their mere presence was enough to educate and change me...even if just for a few moments.

People facing some of the most serious cancers known to medicine are to be found wandering the halls of this place, and for many they are searching for a miracle.

Yesterday a man who could not possibly have been older than me needed me to hold the elevator doors open until the alarm bells rang because he was unable to move himself and his walker fast enoough to get on in a "timely" manner. Completely winded by his 10 foot walk, he thanked me and apologized...I told him in no uncertain terms that no apology was neccesary. He looked terrible...emaciated, weak, unstable...suffering.

Never have I felt so strong a desire to lean over, put my arm around somone (in this case a total stranger) and say "Christ is Risen!" But who could have known how such a thing would be greeted? Oh, but how wonderful that message is (must be)in the face of suffering and death. I am sad for those who do not know it...for those who do not understand it. And I am sad for myself, for I clearly do not fully LIVE it.

How to share the joy and mystery of Pascha with someone dying who you happen to ride an elevator with? Prayer?

Comments

Anonymous said…
James, as a fellow Orthodox Christian, I do not "fully live it" myself.
My Father was one of those emaciated souls in the hospital.(Memory Eternal!) so in his stead I will reply, "INDEED HE IS RISEN!"

Your humble act of kindness will not be unapreciated.
All my best to You and Yours.
Anne said…
I can read you now that you have changed the background! Today I was at my young daughter's gravesite and someone was standing at the next grave. I did say Christ is Risen when the person walked by but I dont know what he said in reply. It did not matter to me. At all times, I want to be the child in church who fearlessly sings "Christ is Risen from the dead, Trampling death by death!"
Anonymous said…
"and upon those in the tombs bestowing life!" I LOVE singing during Pascha!!

Popular Posts