Close, but no cigar...

I'm not sure who is missing the point more, the reporter or the macro-brew industry.

A few missed shots:

Miller Brewing is repositioning the brand to woo sophisticated 20-somethings — a segment that's straying from domestic brews in favor of light beer, imports, spirits and wine.

What's missing? Can you say "MICROBREWS" or "SMALL BATCH CRAFT BREWS"?

Coors Brewing Co. is also changing the way it talks to consumers...New ads will focus on how the beer differs from others in the category, highlighting its use of water from the Rocky Mountains

NEWS FLASH: COORS BEER TASTES EXACTLY LIKE BUDWEISER AND MILLER REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU USE ROCKY MOUNTAIN WATER OR TOILET WATER. THEY OUGHT TO MARKET IT ALL AS SNAIL BAIT.

"What we are finding in a category like domestic premium beer, is it's important to differentiate yourself from the other beers so that when a consumer sits down at a bar he or she understands why he wants to order your beer compared to other ones,"

You know, if your consumer needs to have YOU exaplin this to him, then there is a serious problem to begin with.

These drinkers care more about flavor than they do about calories

Brilliant! And the solution is: Don't change the recipe...spend millions on a new ad campaign in order to convince people that what they are drinking actually tastes better than overly diluted Metamucil.

Comments

Meg said…
I'm guessing you are a beer aficionado.... ;-)
Anonymous said…
My roommate and I have had a case of Corona in our pantry for two years. I just picked it up to take it home and use it to drown slugs in.

In my house, my parents make sure to instill in us such things as honesty, kindness, hard work, and never, ever drinking beer that comes in a can. I think I'd be in about the same amount of trouble if I came home pregnant as I would if I brought home Budweiser. Well, maybe that's a BIT of an overstatement...but not much.
Anonymous said…
James, I'm so glad you shared with us how you feel. Really. And Arielle, we Fallins drink beer from a can. Guinness. I like your parents already.
Anonymous said…
Actually, if you really have taste, you should drink single malt scotch.

-Rick
Anonymous said…
Oooh, Guiness is definitely the exception. My parent's went to the Guiness factory in Ireland. My dad said it was like a theme park for beer drinkers.

I think Guiness was the first beer I drank with my dad. What a beer to start on.
Stacy said…
I second Rick's motion. Go for the scotch!
Anonymous said…
I'm an avid homebrewer who actually, on occasion, enjoys a Coors Light or a Budweiser.

Note: on occasion!

I do see your point re: the marketing campaigns of the Big Three, but I take exception to your assertion that Coors Light and Budweiser taste the same. Coors Light has no taste. Budweiser has a ridiculous sweet corn and spicy hop taste that's just gross.

That is all. Thank you :)
fdj said…
My taste buds have long since been trained to Rasputin and IPA's so full of hops that you nearly have to strain it before drinking.

As such Bud, Miller, Coors all taste the same to me.
:)
fdj said…
I'm guessing you are a beer aficionado

Not really, but I play one on the internet...more likely I'm just a beer snob.
fdj said…
Stacy....

Hey, must it be one or the other?(Well perhaps yes if at the same time.)
:)

And as far as that goes, I stock Aberlour 10 year at home.
Anonymous said…
I know a great off-color joke about macro-brews, but alas it is not fitting for such a forum.
Short of Guiness (which frankly, isn't "right" unless it comes from a tap) beer from a can is good for drowning slugs and making beer batter. I've even gotten so I look askance at microbrews that aren't man enough to print the IBU's on the label. ARRRRGGGH! (-tears shirt off and beats chest-)
Thomas Ham said…
Old Rasputin is a great drink! As are many IPA's. Sierra Nevada, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc! As of late I've been enjoying the Boddingtons, Old Speckled Hen and Martons Pedigree!

But, it's nice down here... We have a lot of microbrews, but most of them are very hoppy brews. Like Stone for instance.
fdj said…
Microbreweries are springing up everywhere these days. Here in the Northwest I think we are seeing as many as we are coffee shops...ok, well, not quite - but you get the picture.

The best IPA I've had is from Pelican Brewing in Pacific City Oregon. A close second is LaConner (but they do, alas, have consistancy issues). At last years Brewfest I was in IPA heaven.

Guinness has waned in my changing tastes...I'd never refuse it, but it does seem rather wimpy to me these days.

I won't rip my shirt off though with Rade...last time I did that Sasquatch sighting reports when through the roof and I ended up on "COPS"

Popular Posts