More Cheese

More Cheese

Last night I made my first attempt at jalapeño-mozzarella. I am quite enjoying it today - it came out wonderful and all I really did was mix a few minced up pickled jalapeños into the mozzarella during the kneading-stretching step. At present we have 3 pounds of the "Basic Hard Cheese" aging in the fridge and I am really excited about that. I've got a few more books on hold at the library as I really want to educate myself more about the process and also on some additional varieties to try. We've had people wanting to buy our cheese - many apparently willing to pay a pretty good premium on raw, all natural, goat cheese. It has certainly got me thinking about trying to start a real grade A goat creamery.

Not sure if I have linked here before, but THIS is a great resource. Via this site I also found this a resource where people have documented the process of building their own small scale creameries, for example:

Finger Lakes Dexter Creamery
Pholia Farm

There are many others and I am seriously dreaming of doing the same for St. Brigid Farm. I see cheese making as having a real connection with the work I do in the lab - it really is science, except in the case of the farm, the data generated is delicious.

And marketable.

Comments

Popular Posts