Holy Week

It has descended upon me seemingly almost without me realizing it. I hate being at work during this Holy time, yet I’m not sure that in my current state that I would be able to readily substitute these laboratory experiences with those of Christ’s Church. Where is my head at? I have really failed to connect with the liturgical dance of the Church this week.

My wife was encouraged yesterday via a beloved Orthodox friend, reminding her that satan has every interest in keeping our minds focused on the mundane and away from the holiness of this time…this wonderful time, sanctified by the Church. The everyday life of being a BIG family (in the modern sense) seems to particularly complicate our chronological pilgrimage this year.

I commit to seeing through this demonic haze. Harsh words, yes I know, but fitting I think.

All of life seems to be spiraling in on me and my family, and as we move into Holy Thursday the whirlwind is obviously beginning to move faster and faster. With each passing moment the wind and speed seem to accelerate and like a time bomb with no white wire to snip, the explosion of Pascha will at last end the dizzying spin. A climax, like no other, awaits us this weekend…the Paschal promise of peace and joy which awaits us, now helps me embrace this time of discomfort and ill-ease.

I suppose the end of Holy Week is a time for such things like discomfort and ill-ease. My daughter returned from Pre-sanctified last night and wearily announced, “Wow, Daddy, there were a lot of frustrations at church tonight.” Initially I thought she might have overheard my wife lamenting the behavior of one of our children, but soon came to realize that she was referring to “prostrations.” I laughed, but then thought twice: Holy Wednesday, a time of frustration? Perhaps.

The dance continues…


Comments

Popular Posts