A Thin Mint Wafer

As I pull into the parking lot, I notice that nestled in between Circuit City and the Lowes Home Improvement Center is a small strip of land with a small slow moving stream and a clump of evergreen trees. Odd that I am unable to discern from whence the stream comes amidst the asphalt parking lots and thoroughfares, nor where it might find a means of progressing on toward Puget Sound. It seems to be an impossible little oasis in the midst of urban sprawl. Sometimes I miss Sultan.

The water is not unlike the Holy Spirit: He is an impossible oasis to me, amidst my own interior urban sprawl - the hardened asphalt, passionate thoroughfares Circuit City's and Lowes' of my heart.

The sign says "Nature Preserve" I notice as I drive by. I park the car and go inside to search for my fence building lumber.

The evening light will come soon and along with it will come a different sort of "preserve."

Let my prayer arise in your sight as incense
and let the lifting up of my hands
by an evening sacrifice.
Lord, I call upon you; Hear me.




Comments

Popular Posts