Lunch on Tuesdays

Sky (aka Sean, soon to be aka Michael) and I were unintentionally reintroduced through our mutual friend Imran’s bulk emails (thanks Imran!) He and I had met quite sometime ago, and unfortunately somewhat superficially. Via Imran’s emails I discovered that he had in recent months or years(?) developed a keen interest in Eastern Christianity and in turn, he learned that I had actually taken the official plunge into Eastern Christianity. Lengthy email discussions ensued.

Since then, he and the “three (Orthodox) amigos” of the SCCA have been meeting regularly for lunch on Tuesdays. It has become to me, a precious thing, and I look forward to the informal time of discussing our journeys and the many discoveries made therein. Not infrequently we will call to mind stories from the Desert Fathers and this one was particularly striking to us today:

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, "Abba, as far as I can
I say my little rule of prayer, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I
live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can
I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards
heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him,
"If you will, you can become all flame."


Comments

Popular Posts