By Request

First though: Any other bloggers out there get a request to join a weblog study via MIT? Wondering if it's real.

1. Total Number of Books I've Owned:

I'm always told I have A LOT of books, but that is usually by friends or relatives who don't "do books" for the most part. All I can say is that everytime I have moved I have regretted not selling some of my books.

2. Last Book I Bought:

Service and Akathist Hymn of Saint Alexis of Wilkes-Barre

3. Last Book I Read:

My daughter and I just finished The Fellowship of the Ring It had been so long for me that I had forgotten nearly all of it.


4. Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me:

Boy, this is a tough one...there are so many and I naturally want to find the golden answer to impress the crap out of all of you...but I find that don't answer. The first three are all FREELY available online.

On the Incarnation by Saint Athanasios
Amazing book, far too unknown to the vast majority of Christians I suspect. Available online HERE.

Against Heresies by Saint Irenaios of Lyon
Ditto...

On the Apostolic Preaching by Saint Irenaios or Lyon
Saint Irenaios did much to bring me to the Orthodox Church. He was the first ancient Christian writer I found when I decided that I would not read one more cruddy modern book giving me their take on the ancient church before I actually read works by people who were IN the ancient church.

Both of St. Irenaios' works are linked through the library.

Any of the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey-Maturin series books
Love em....BEAT TO QUARTERS!...nuff said.
(and that makes 21 additional books to my list, so I'm done)

Comments

Munkee said…
I've read On The Incarnation a couple of times, once in our Sunday night study, and would say first that the introduction by Lewis is fantastic and the text by Athansious is suprisingly quite readable. Helped to affirm a great amount of the Orthodox perspective for me.

Regarding O'Brien, I have enjoyed the first 3/4 of the first book, but have been in need of real motivation to finish it(besides the fact that i only have little bit to go). Would you say that the books get better as the series continues?
fdj said…
Well, you certainly CAN grow to really adore and relate to the characters. O'Brien does a fantastic job of making Aubrey and Maturin both fantastically heroic and yet deeply grounded on earth and very real.

The gentlemen warrior is something that has always intrigued me and so the juxtaposition of a brutal sea battle in the afternoon and later an evening of fine port and playing Boccherini is just...well I'm not sure...

Loving the genre certainly helps...but O'Brien's skill at accurately capturing the age is unparelleled. And his writing style REALLY grows on you...I love a well phrased sentence that hits you square in the face and takes you a moment to get your senses around it...and when you do you rejoice over the simple beauty of it.
Munkee said…
He is a brilliant writer, and the battles are quite lovely....i'll pick it back up when i finish fellowship again.

Popular Posts